Sometimes there is nothing like pancakes for a special breakfast!
There is something about pancakes that make them one of the ultimate in good time memories, and comfort foods.
But pancakes can sure feel mighty heavy in the tummy, as delicious as they are. And then there’s the gluten problem. And the high carb problem.
Gluten free Paleo pancakes to the rescue! These are made with coconut flour and a little egg. They are just the ticket for a non-heavy, non-bloating start to the day.
Gluten Free Paleo Pancakes with Berry Topping
Makes 8-12 about 3.5 inch diameter pancakes and serves 1-2 people. These are super thin. Almost crepe-like. So you definitely want to make a double batch for more people or bigger appetities. And they freeze great!
• 4 tbsp Coconut flour
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 tsp baking powder
• 3 tbsp coconut milk
• 5 tbsp almond milk
• a pinch of nutmeg
• 1/8 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 cup per serving of blueberries, raspberries or marionberries
• 1/4 tsp tapioca starch or arrowroot starch per 1/4 cup berries.
• Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup. Make a little ditch in the dry ingredients to add the eggs into, then beat the eggs until well mixed. Then combine the eggs with the dry ingredients until well mixed. Add the coconut milk and almond milk. You can add more of either of these if the batter needs a little thinning.
• Place a griddle or pan over medium heat and use an oil such as coconut or avocado to prepare the cooking surface.
• The batter should be quite thin so that when you add about 1.5 tbsp of batter to the pan or griddle it should spread out easily, not puff up very much, and start forming tiny bubbles around the edges pretty quickly. When the bubbles fill in the middle, It’s time to flip them. They don’t need much time on the other side.
• To prepare the berries, heat them on mild to moderate heat until the juices free up. Stir in the tapioca starch or arrowroot starch to thicken the juices up a bit. Remove from the heat and let them set a couple minutes.
Stack those pancakes up and top with the berries.
Transport yourself to your favorite place to eat, with your favorite people, and enjoy!
Share if you like them!