How our approach to weight loss is different:
There is no magic that we know of that will miraculously make you lose weight. If excess weight has been a problem for you, chances are good you have tried many times to conquer it. Weight loss takes work. But, we also recognize that you may be dealing with some problems that could be contributing to your body holding onto excess weight. We look for those things and address them.
As with so many things in life, success in losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle is about a combination of doing the work plus figuring out the roadblocks.
When we work with you to lose weight, we work on both parts, including the part that may explain why losing weight has been so hard for you.
If you have been frustrated by your weight not responding to the “hard work” approach, you may have some underlying problems that are preventing you from losing weight.
These confounding factors can vary by person but can include things such as:
• Low functioning thyroid
• Insulin resistance
• Less than optimum mitochondrial function (which can impact metabolism)
• Emotional and lifestyle contributors
• Imbalance of bacteria in the intestines
A reasonable weight less goal is for women to lose 2 lb/wk and men 3 lb/wk but results may vary from person to person.
What is our food and fitness philosophy?
There is no mystery here. Yes, we do look for underlying problems, because you can struggle until they are resolved. But that doesn’t mean we can skip the basics such as:
• What and how much you eat
• When you eat and why
• How much and what kind of exercise you do
• Motivation and stick-to-itiveness
• Mindset and habits
Our food philosophy is based on:
• Ample vegetables and fruits
• No sugars, and low glycemic index carbohydrates
• Healthy fats
• Moderate lean protein
Initially, partial meal replacement with protein shakes may be recommended
• addresses food habit modification and reduced calories
• addresses potential food sensitivities
There are no pre-prepared meals in our approach since we believe strongly in the power of fresh whole foods as a key to health (though we do encourage you to pre-prepare you own meals as a time saver and motivation aid).
We do not use any prescription weight loss medications, HCG or any “herbal” or other “appetite suppressants” or “weight loss” supplements. We will, however, explore with you, options for vitamins or supplements that may me useful, as appropriate.
We work together with you on:
• Food shopping strategy
• Food preparation strategy
• Food sensitivity avoidance (if applicable)
• The emotions around food
• Eating and your lifestyle
• Stress reduction
• Exercise planning
• Eating on the go strategies
• Eating for health and not just for weight loss
• Forming and continuing new health habits
• Nurturing a mindset that supports health, happiness and success
Some of the things we look at and monitor:
• Review of overall health
• Strategy for looking into any potential underlying problems
• Biometrics – Height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, waist to hip ratio
• Common tests – Fasting blood sugar and insulin resistance, CBC, metabolic panel, thyroid panel, vitamin B12, folate, vitamin D level, cholesterol panel, hsCRP
• Other considerations – fructosamine, ESR, Calcium, Magnesium, specialty testing (food sensitivities, stool microbiology, etc)
• Emotional and lifestyle contributors
• Food and exercise logs
• Experience logs and journaling
Follow up visits include
• Weight and BMI
• Review of any lab results and resulting treatment recommendations
• Ongoing nutrition and coaching guidance
Supplements that we may recommend
• Protein powder for shakes
• Multivitamins, B vitamins
• Other recommendations on an individual basis
• We do not sell supplements in the office. They are available locally or through Emerson Ecologics via our web site at a reduced price.
Get Started Today!